Posts for tag: Dental Veneers
Dental veneers are very thin sheaths of porcelain that are bonded to your existing teeth at the front and sides. They can be used to hide chips, cracks, and stains, to reshape the teeth, and to fill in gaps between teeth. Dr. Michael J. Tisdelle is a dentist in Charlottesville who can help you with veneers treatment and maintenance. Here are some tips on taking care of your dental veneers.
Dental Veneer Maintenance
Charlottesville dental patients can take the following steps to make sure their veneers stay in good condition:
- Maintain a good oral hygiene routine: Brush twice daily with a medium or soft toothbrush at least twenty minutes after eating. Floss at least once each day to remove any trapped particles between your teeth. Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash after flossing. Make sure to use an alcohol-free mouthwash so it will not adversely affect the bonding agent that supports your veneers.
- Chew carefully: While porcelain veneers are very durable, in some instances they can chip or break. Normal foods shouldn’t pose a problem, but you should avoid crunching ice and chewing on things like your fingernails, pens, and bones.
- Protect your veneers: If you enjoy athletic activities such as basketball, football, or contact sports, wear a mouthguard while you are participating to keep your new smile safe.
- Avoid staining: Certain foods and beverages such as tomatoes, berries, tea, coffee, and wine can stain your teeth. Using tobacco products will also cause staining.
- Make regular dental visits: Regular six-month dental visits are not only important for your veneers but also for your general tooth and gum health. Having a biannual check-up will enable your dentist to spot any problems in the early stages while they are still easy to fix, so you’ll spend less money and less time in the dentist’s chair.
Take care of you your veneers and they will last for years. If you live in Charlottesville, VA you can find out more by calling Dr. Tisdelle at (434) 977-4101.