Have Gum Disease? We Can Help
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, develops when the gum tissues become infected. If left untreated, gum disease can spread throughout the mouth and lead to tooth loss. Fortunately, several treatments methods exist for restoring the health of gums affected by this ailment. Read on to learn more about gum disease, and contact dentist Dr. Michael Tisdelle in Charlottesville, VA, if you are in need of treatment!
Causes of Gum Disease
Gum disease is caused by a bacterial infection, and generally from when bacteria gets trapped in the tiny crevices of teeth and lingers there for a long time. Lingering bacteria can lead to the development of plaque, tartar buildup, and gingivitis, which can all lead to the development of gum disease.
Gum Disease Signs
There are several symptoms that can be an indication of gum disease. It is important to see a dentist at our Charlottesville office as soon as possible if you develop any signs of possible gum disease, for seeking treatment early will help stop the gum disease from spreading. Signs of gum disease include:
- Gums that are red, tender, or swollen
- Gums that bleed when eating, brushing, or flossing
- Gums that are beginning to recede
- Loose or missing teeth
- Tooth pain and sensitivity
- Chronic bad breath
Treating Gum Disease
Some of the primary goals when treating gum disease include stopping gum disease from progressing, restoring the health of gum tissues, and preventing any tooth loss. There are many options available for treating gum disease, including:
- Gum Grafting — Involves replacing damaged gum tissue with healthy tissue from other areas of the mouth.
- Scaling and Root Planing — Involves a thorough cleaning to remove plaque and tartar from below the gum line.
- Periodontal Laser Treatment — Involves the use of lasers to remove unhealthy gum tissue.
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery — Involves reshaping of the gums to create a more pleasing appearance after the gums have been affected by gum disease.
Help is available if you have gum disease. At our Charlottesville, VA, office, our dentist can help determine which treatment options would be best for restoring the health of your gums. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Tisdelle, call the office at (434) 977-4101.