Posts for category: Cosmetic Dentistry
Dental veneers are very thin sheaths of porcelain that are bonded to your existing teeth at the front and sides. They can be used to hide chips, cracks, and stains, to reshape the teeth, and to fill in gaps between teeth. Dr. Michael J. Tisdelle is a dentist in Charlottesville who can help you with veneers treatment and maintenance. Here are some tips on taking care of your dental veneers.
Dental Veneer Maintenance
Charlottesville dental patients can take the following steps to make sure their veneers stay in good condition:
- Maintain a good oral hygiene routine: Brush twice daily with a medium or soft toothbrush at least twenty minutes after eating. Floss at least once each day to remove any trapped particles between your teeth. Rinse with an antiseptic mouthwash after flossing. Make sure to use an alcohol-free mouthwash so it will not adversely affect the bonding agent that supports your veneers.
- Chew carefully: While porcelain veneers are very durable, in some instances they can chip or break. Normal foods shouldn’t pose a problem, but you should avoid crunching ice and chewing on things like your fingernails, pens, and bones.
- Protect your veneers: If you enjoy athletic activities such as basketball, football, or contact sports, wear a mouthguard while you are participating to keep your new smile safe.
- Avoid staining: Certain foods and beverages such as tomatoes, berries, tea, coffee, and wine can stain your teeth. Using tobacco products will also cause staining.
- Make regular dental visits: Regular six-month dental visits are not only important for your veneers but also for your general tooth and gum health. Having a biannual check-up will enable your dentist to spot any problems in the early stages while they are still easy to fix, so you’ll spend less money and less time in the dentist’s chair.
Take care of you your veneers and they will last for years. If you live in Charlottesville, VA you can find out more by calling Dr. Tisdelle at (434) 977-4101.
How our Charlottesville office can help rebuild your smile
All teeth are essential to oral health, function, and personal appearance. To avoid the extraction of a cracked, decayed, or otherwise compromised tooth, your dentist may recommend a dental crown. Here at our Charlottesville, VA, office Dr. Michael Tisdelle uses porcelain crowns to shore up failing or unattractive tooth structure so that you can keep all of your teeth and still have a healthy smile.
Why use porcelain?
Dr. Tisdelle typically uses medical-grade porcelain to create dental caps to restore teeth to full form and function. Porcelain is highly biocompatible, strong, realistic in both color and sheen, crowns made from the material may be placed anywhere in the mouth: front, back, or sides. They support bridgework, cover dental implants, and finish off root canal therapy.
To qualify for a crown...
You must have enough healthy tooth structure. To determine this, Dr. Tisdelle will examine your smile and X-ray your tooth. If the procedure is a go, he'll remove the decayed portions and any old fillings to shape the tooth to receive the crown. Oral impressions and specific instructions tell the dental lab how to create your crown.
To place the crown over your prepared tooth, your dentist uses a strong bonding cement. He carefully adjusts the new crown and the bite so that you feel comfortable as you use it. Additionally, you'll notice that your crown fits well between your other teeth and matches them in size, shape, and color.
Dental crown care
With consistent at-home hygiene and in-office care every six months (a comprehensive examination and cleaning), your dental crown should last at least ten years or even longer. A word of caution is in order, however. Avoid excessive wear-and-tear on your porcelain crown by wearing an acrylic bite guard if you clench or grind your teeth (this condition is called bruxism).
Join with your dentist in Charlottesville, VA, Dr. Michael Tisdelle, in keeping your smile strong, beautiful, and complete. Use a customized porcelain crown to repair a failing tooth and enjoy years of an improved smile. Call us today to get all the details: (434) 977-4101.
Need dental work? It’s time to find out about tooth-colored fillings! The most natural-looking restorations available today, these fillings are the perfect choice to enhance your smile. Here at Dr. Michael J. Tisdelle's dental practice in Charlottesville, VA, we offer tooth-colored fillings to restore your smile—read on to learn why!
The benefits of tooth-colored fillings
Tooth-colored fillings are constructed from composite, a unique liquid resin that can be matched to the color of your smile. Composite is replacing metal as the number one choice for dental restorations for a number of reasons, including its lauded versatility, beautiful appearance, and reliable strength. Tooth-colored fillings are an excellent choice to restore teeth that are:
- Broken due to trauma or an injury
- Damaged from tooth decay
- Chipped from excessive wear or bad habits
Composite offers benefits that can’t be matched by conventional metal fillings. When you choose tooth-colored fillings, you will enjoy these important benefits:
- A strong dental restoration, because composite is bonded to your tooth surface
- A beautiful dental restoration, because composite gives your smile a natural, metal-free look
- A healthy restoration, because you will have no more metal taste in your mouth
Imagine having a strong, beautiful smile once again—with tooth-colored fillings, this dream can become reality!
Interested? Give us a call!
If you have decayed or damaged teeth, you don’t need to settle for old-school metal fillings. You can choose tooth-colored fillings using composite. Tooth-colored fillings give you a smile that you will be proud to show off. To find out more about the magic of tooth-colored fillings and how they can enhance your smile, call Dr. Michael J. Tisdelle in Charlottesville, VA, today by dialing (434) 977-4101.
Would you like to rejuvenate the appearance of your smile? Here at our Charlottesville office, your dentist, Dr. Michael Tisdelle, is happy to help! One of his most popular ways to achieve this smile makeover is through a cosmetic treatment called porcelain veneers. Natural-looking and durable, these thin laminates cover many small defects and strengthen tooth enamel, too. Read on to learn if they are right for you!
No one is perfect
Few people naturally come by stunning Hollywood smiles. Fortunately, if you have dental defects such as small gaps, irregularly shaped teeth, chips, or deep stains, porcelain veneers from your Charlottesville dentist could be your solution!
Veneers are custom-shaped pieces of high-grade ceramic, custom sculpted one-by-one to cover the front of teeth in the smile zone at the front of the mouth. Most veneer makeovers require minor enamel reduction to allow the laminates to bond, fit, and function properly within the mouth. This gentle procedure removes about one-half millimeter of tooth surface and makes veneers a permanent refurbishment. In other words, once you wear porcelain veneers, you always will.
The veneer treatment
The veneer process starts with a complete dental examination to discuss your desired changes and to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy enough for treatment. With an agreed-upon plan, Dr. Tisdelle can begin your procedure right away. Besides the resurfacing, he will:
- Take oral impressions and photos
- Install temporary laminates
- Send a plan to a trusted dental lab where a technician will sculpt each veneer
When you return to the office in a week or two, the dentist will remove the temporary veneers and use a specially-formulated adhesive to bond the new ones over your teeth. He can then vary the shade of the bonding cement to optimize the natural look and color of veneers so that your smile remains seamlessly beautiful. Finally, a UV light is used to cure the cement, and your smile is complete!
Caring for your new smile
If you routinely floss and brush as Dr. Tisdelle advises and also see him for your six-month cleanings and examinations, your veneers should last ten years or more. However, you should make sure to stay away from super-hard foods and biting on your fingernails.
Find out more
Dr. Michael Tisdelle and his team want their patients to have healthy smiles that they can truly enjoy, and cosmetic treatments, such as porcelain veneers, help them achieve their long-desired aesthetic smile goals. To learn more, contact the office team here in Charlottesville: (434) 977-4101.